Tuesday, August 22, 2006

"At least finish the meat!"

Once upon a time the English lived on an island and all they had to eat was potatoes and fish. Then they conquered the world. China, Africa, the Middle East, Asia. The empire where the sun never sets. In England there are at least two cooking shows aired at any given time. So how come that the only food they adopted was the Hamburger? How come the only food you can get today in England is Fish and Chips, Sausage Roll and Hamburger?

I'm in Sheffield again, the city that never wakes up. At seven o'clock in the evening, just before they turn off the lights, I went out to find something to eat. I don't want no Hamburger or Fish and Chips. So I was lucky to find a pub that serves Chilli con Carne. I was glad to find it and ordered one (stressing out the fact that I don't want any sour cream with it, of course). And there came the food. A decent dish with meat, rice and nachos. I wasn't very hungry but I had to eat because there won't be any food later and I'd have no one to blame. Because I was not very hungry I told my self - "forget about the nachos and rice - finish the meat at least". Do you
know that saying? It usually comes out of your Dad's mouth. "Finish the meat, at least". When did meat get the honor? Why is meat better than rice? Or vegetables? "Just finish the patty" of the burger. "So take some meat balls with the potatoe". Hey! It's just meat! And I actually heard meat is murder.

No comments: