Thursday, July 27, 2006

See You After the War

I don't see the point of this war anymore. As I've mentioned before, this war should have ended a week ago and focus should have been set to the diplomatic efforts. In the past week the army showed no achievements. Certainly not achievements that were worth the lives of the soldiers who died.

I don't understand why the army keeps bombing roads and civilian targets. I thought the blockade was set in the second day of fighting. So why are they still bombing? Revenge? We revenged already. Every day that goes by makes the Hizballa forget how surprised they were. The Lebanese get used to live at war (again) and forget why it broke. Our political achievements are getting farther and farther away. We should have negotiated when they were still in shock. We lose more and more points. Had a week ago our politicians gone negotiating, we would have had the upper hand. With every day that passes our case gets weaker and weaker.

And now they are talking about going all the way to Tyre. Why? Even the army admits that force alone will not stop Hizballa. So we'll go into Tyre. Our soldiers will die. Their people will die. Do our leaders ever think ahead? Or are they still dozed by the smell of war?

I read the news like a butterfly flies into fire. In our country you don't read the news. You don't listen to the news. In Israel, like with drugs, you do the news. It's addictive, and you do it even though you hate it. I stop it. I don't want to hear anymore. In 2002 it worked. I decided I'll apply the same on the current stupidity that's growing bigger by the day. Let me know when we're out of Lebanon.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, I dropped over from Beirut Notes. Something struck me this morning when watching the news that the Israeli army is to a degree bogged down: We have all heard people asking, 'Why didn't Lebanon disarm Hezbollah?'. I think we now know why. It would have been absolutely impossible by force for the Lebanese - particularly in one short year. No one can now reasonably argue with that. The only solution was to hope a political solution could have been found (whether Hezbollah would have wanted and/or accepted a solution is another debate).

This is more and more looking like an unwinnable war based on an unreasonable principle.

Anonymous said...

Greets to the webmaster of this wonderful site. Keep working. Thank you.
»