Saturday, July 29, 2006

War is delightful to those who have not experienced it

Sorrow. Pain. I want to cry. I want to sob. My brother is a refugee, my cousin is in the front and my best friend is going there Sunday.

Stupid are those who think Israelis want war. Stupid are those who think Israelis are warmongers. You won't see in Israel pictures like the ones from before the World Wars. There will be no French recruits smiling. No Belgian women willfully sending their sons to fight the enemy. You'll only see tears.

Today, just as my friend was telling me that he was called for reserve duty, my phone rang. It was my cousin. He's on the border with Lebanon. I asked him not to be brave. "When they ask for volunteers - take a step back". I asked him to keep asking questions. Ask why. Ask what's the point. Ask when it will end. I guess what I asked him was simply to stay alive and stay a human being.

Oh, how I hate war.


War is delightful to those who have not experienced it.
(Erasmus)


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

May your friend and your cousin come back in one piece and a sound mind! May your brother find his home in one piece & be back home soon!!

Blogs connects people and we are given a chance to understand each other, the joy, the fun but also the pain. I don't understand what is going on but killing people can't be right.

I posted the following on a blog of a Muslim guy who is really angry:

"I still hope & think that peace can be reached with no wars and with respect and fair treatment to the Arab and the Jewish people."

This should be the way forward but I guess it is much easier said then done.

Anonymous said...

I'm really sorry; I hate wars too, I hate when poeples are suffering, I hate when I can't do nothing to change things.
Peace can't be obtained with weapons; if common jews and common muslims don't want war, who want? Politicians.